Monday, October 1, 2007

What I'm Reading Lately

On my long trip to Pennsylvania last week, I was able to bring along some light reading on the plane. Recently I finish the third book in a series linked to the Showtime cable network drama called "Dexter" about a serial killer who works with the police and only kills bad people. It's a far-fetched concept but both the TV series and the books have been wonderful. Last year I read Darkly Dreaming Dexter, the first of the series and closely related to the television show. The second book, Dearly Devoted Dexter , has a story line completely different from the TV series, but was still quite rewarding. Over the weekend I read, Dexter in the Dark, in which Dexter's dark inner-self which compells him to kill people abandons him while he himself becomes the target of another, more powerful dark force. The books and television incisively explore the inner and outer versions of self that we present to ourselves and other. Well worth the read.